Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Mom who can Make A Difference

Yep, that would be me, a mom...who can make a difference. What kind of difference do you ask? Well, let me give you just an idea!

Of all of those who are running in this particular race to the title of Marion School Board Member, I am the only one who is a mom. I volunteer in my son's first grade classroom. I have the perspective of being in the room and witnessing the teaching and learning (Yes! Lots of learning!) going on in this classroom on a weekly basis. I am able to talk with the teachers and hear their thoughts and concerns. I am visible to those who work in the school and to parents who happen to visit the school.

I have walked the halls of Kendall Elementary, Justice Junior High and Marion High School as a student. Even though things have changed since then, the familiarity I have with these schools as well as having children who attend them places me in an "in the trenches" position. I have the perspective of a mom that is affected by the changes presented to the Board. I have an interest in making decisions that keep into account the positive learning environment for our children.

Marion is moving forward! Our schools need to be a part of these changes. Marion has many good things to look forward to. Let's make sure we move forward with our education for our children as well.

No comments: